Monday, August 13

As one door closes...

Having a sister who is a counsellor means I'm often nagged encouraged to gain closure over life situations in order to move on. Personally I think I'm good at closing doors, certainly if you ask my mother or ex-husband they'll tell you I actually slam them shut, fit extra locks then erect barricades. Decision made, door closed, discussion not permitted, that's me.

During a conversation last week a female acquaintance asked me why I was still single and before I could give a flippant answer a male mate jumped in with "Cos she won't let anyone look after her, that's why. Too independent for her own good!". I laughed it off by kicking him lightly in the head but it did make me think. Ok, I do good closing of doors but do I actually open any windows?

Joining dating sites is all well and good but my profiles are invariably based around 'wallflowers need not apply' type statements. Which, ok, is true, but not exactly inviting to anyone but the most arrogant, delusional or I'm mad, me! type of blokes, all guaranteed to send me running full tilt to delete any trace of myself from the site. A profile re-think was in order but before that I had to decide what I was willing to compromise on. A quick glance back at my ABC of MAN soon reminded me that there really wasn't anything.

I didn't pull 'Fussy Bitch' out of the air, you know. It's weird because I have such ridiculously low self-esteem you'd think I'd be grateful for any attention whatsoever but I seem to have gone to the other extreme where I actively discourage it by being so demanding of ridiculously high standards. Really, what was I expecting? A tall, handsome, ex-military, rugby playing type with a love of quoting lines from comedy films, a flair for IT and a degree in astro-bloody-physics? Who can write skilfully, banter with wit and speed, isn't married, cooks, loves music and understands that I'm a mother before all else? As if men even come in that flavour!

Wouldn't ya know, just as I accepted that I'd have to try to open a window to a lesser man and learn not to be resentful of his shortcomings, one exactly like my wish list sent me a message and we haven't stopped talking since.

Maybe sis is right, maybe you do have to open up and move on before life sends you the next chapter... just don't ever tell her I said that!

14 comments:

Stray said...

omg! how exciting :)

yayayayay!

Sx

(I clearly have no sentient comments left today, but wanted to share my enthusiasm)

Vi said...

Ooooooohhhhhh!!!!

I wanna hear more!!!

(Like where can I get one of those?)

Fire Byrd said...

He'll probably be like a bus then and there'll be another two coming along in a minute!!
Couldn't resist popping in to see you, so enjoy your comments on other people's sites
px

Luka said...

There's nothing wrong with having high standards. Why should you settle for less than what you want, need and deserve?

So the ideal can be a rarity - just takes longer to find, and - look, you found one! I am pleased for you.

Joanna Cake said...

They are a rare breed but they do exist and if you've been a really good girl, your fairy godmother may agree to grant you one. Keep me posted x

Peach said...

wow girl, that sounds great and I can't wait to hear more, like LOADS more..... xxx

Freddy said...

"A tall, handsome, ex-military, rugby playing type with a love of quoting lines from comedy films, a flair for IT and a degree in astro-bloody-physics? Who can write skilfully, banter with wit and speed, isn't married, cooks, loves music and understands that I'm a mother before all else"

I thought at first it must be Will Carling until you got to the degree in astro-physics, was going to make some inappropriate comment on about following in royal footsteps, but I won't.
Nor will I point out that all the truly sensitive good-looking single guys are indisputably gay.
nor will I say "I didn't know Middy had a degree"

I'll just say...

yay you - enjoy!

Anonymous said...

Pfft, I've got an entire blog dedicated to gaining closure and moving on, but it hasn't helped.

Perhaps I should follow your lead and then I'll end up with a tall, handsome, ex-military, rugby playing...

Erm, oh.

Ms Robinson said...

If you don't set an ideal then you are compromising from the start and that is no way to begin a relationship. As for dating sites, I have never used them as I can never remember my favourite colour.

I am intrigued when people tell you that you are not'vulnerable enough'. Years ago during a depression phase my doc told me it might help to show my vulnerability. I replied that I would show it when I wanted someone to see it.

Helena said...

If only some of life's doors didn't have rather stiff and rusty hinges........

Annie said...

"...and we haven't stopped talking since."

Obviously! Can we have a little attention please...

MommyHeadache said...

I just read this news piece about a man who held up a british betting shop with his girlfriend's rampant rabbit vibrator and for some reason I thought of you, and wondered if you'd ever had a boyfriend called Jex?

Mummy said...

ooo!!! how exciting ...

and that low self esteem and high standard thing resonates, except i dip and peak and end up seeing completely unworthy blokes who make me feel rejected/gross when they dont ring/do ring. its a dilemma .. so you need to share how you got the rugby IT boy!

word verif: oymoaye !!! aloha

Ariel said...

Er, but what if someone gets stuck trying to get in through the window?