Wednesday, August 1

Oranges are not the only fruit

Neither are they the best. The best fruit is the tomato.

Let's go back to the security of basics. Tomato combined with egg is an experience so naturally right that it makes the world seem safer. The flavours of each are so enhanced by the other it's impossible to imagine any other pairing being as good.

And then you taste tomato with mature, crumbly cheddar cheese and realise that pure, natural love can indeed happen twice.

The discovery of tomato with olive oil and basil blows the mind entirely.



Tomatoes come in any size or shape you want.

Tiny little cherry ones that, especially straight off the vine, pop so satisfyingly between teeth, filling the mouth with taste and textures. Skin, flesh, juice, seed; so... intense, so much pleasure in such a tiny package.

Bog standard, taken for granted, salad toms. As seen on market stalls and margherita pizzas the world over. Successfully home grown only by those dedicated enough to constantly attend extreme feeding and watering needs. Round or plum, these stalwarts are ripe, ready, aching to be cut, chopped, pulped, diced or artistically carved into whatever you desire, restrained only by your prejudice or imagination.

Beefsteaks. Come and have a go if you think you're hard enough. Huge and so very solid to the touch, they openly dare you to engage, make something of them. Bring it on, they say, but, before you do, be very aware that you'll need your sharpest knife, for nothing less will pierce my outer skin to reach the soft, juicy innard with the slightly acidic tang that you so crave. Do you have what it takes? Do you?

I feel like a tomato now...

12 comments:

Stray said...

I feel like a tomato now... ... begs the question - do you feel like you are a tomato now, or do you feel like eating a tomato now?

Badger is happily growing zillions on our patio. The tiny fruit are just starting to appear. They smell strangely like skunk plants ... !

Sx

Peach said...

ha ha, lovely lovely

although (*hangs head in shame*) I'm not with you on the tomato and egg thing... is that normal?

Annie said...

Um, it's a vegetable. I don't care how many seeds it's got.

Miss Tickle said...

I was tomato-phobic until relatively recently. Actual fear. It was a textural thing. Olive oil and basil tempted me out of and over my fear, and I'm happy to say I love the little blighters now.

Angela-la-la said...

Stray - That's the question...

Peachypants - Of course you're not normal, darling. It's why I like you so much.

Annie - I forgot to add that tomatoes are sassy enough not to care when people get their food group wrong.

Miss T - I wonder if olive oil and basil would work on other fears? I must try it on the next nasty I come across!

Joanna Cake said...

I love tomato sandwiches. Made the previous night, wrapped in greaseproof and tinfoil and placed in the fridge. It allows the juice to infuse into the bread. Mmmmm... and so few calories :)
Also love them with olive oil and basil, you can add half a teaspoon of sugar on the less ripe ones to really bring out the flavour.
And grilled tomato and runny egg on fried bread is to die for.
Finally, just a fresh tomato, olive oil and basil or oregano sauce on pasta, so healthy and yet so rewarding. What a versatile food :)

Anonymous said...

I like the taste of tomatoes, and really love tomato in things -- well, mainly tomato sauce... but the texture and consistency of a fresh tomato. Ewwww.

Anonymous said...

love olive oil, love tomatoes, being from the mediterrean i know how good they are, you should try roast potatoes with tomatoe's cooked in the over, (in a puree) so to speak, lovely. but even better, courgetes and scrambled egg cooked in olive oil, making me hungry, mmmm

Midnight said...

Always thought you were a bit fruity!

David said...

Knowledge is knowing that the tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is knowing that you don't put it in a fruit salad.

I hope that clears the matter up.

Vi said...

You been watching Jamie Oliver again?

Anonymous said...

Funnily enough, I have a tomato-and-blue-cheese sandwich sitting right next to me, because I have been having tomato-and-blue-cheese cravings all week. For me, this is the most sublime of the tomato combinations. But tomato-and-fresh-basil comes a close second.