Wednesday, October 18

Let's hear it for the Girl!

Not only is she a heroine of mine for being brave enough to stand up for female sexuality and fight stereotypes, even when her anonymity was ripped from her in the most disgusting fashion, she gave me something today that I don't think either of us could have ever expected.

I don't have a fancy job in Londinium, I don't listen to current affairs programs, keep up with politics or read newspapers (I don't count Grazia even tho it does attempt to cover worthy stories amongst the pictures of fabulous handbags that I can't afford).

I'm a 37yo, single, mucked up, full time mum from the outer reaches of Essex. The most unlikely blogger in the world, probably. So, if it wasn't for her I'd never have known about One Day in History, let alone been able to contribute a blog entry of my own. Which, without wishing to sound big-headed, I feel is much more relevant to the whole 'history' theme than the majority of 'I got up at 7am and ate some Weetabix' posts that I saw whilst flicking through to see what the rest of Great Britain thought people of the future might find important/interesting.

My post there contains the words chickens, roost, abuse, martialarts, arrest, denial, endorphins, history, rotten, future, bright.

Just in case you're interested, like...

Returning to girl for a moment, I'd like to add that she's the reason I started blogging and, more than that, went on to book myself a place on a writing course. Me, who just knows how to prattle on and keep the typos to a minimum whilst ratarsed, with real, bona-fide creative types! When I get the advance on my first novel the champagne will be delivered to her before anyone else.


2 comments:

kate said...

Hi FB..

Quite agree with you hunni, the comments and blog of The Girl, have got many of us writing when we hadn't thought of it before.. also agree blogs that stat with what they had for breakfast are soooo boring!lol..
If you chose to take a look at mine, I'd like to warn you first as its not an easy read.. It is my story of surviving Child/adult abuse.. there are places where it is quite detailed so take care if you chose to read..
Kate..

Angela-la-la said...

Thanks for the comment, Kate. I have had a read and I must say I think you're an incredibly brave and strong woman. It saddens me that abuse has touched so many women's lives but it lifts me when I see them become survivors rather than victims.

There's a brilliant peer support site here http://www.aest.org.uk/support_forums.htm if it's of any interest to you.

Take care of yourself, babe.