Monday, November 13

Lazy days and Sundays


For the first time in - ooh, actually, I don't know how long - I did absolutely nothing constructive for most of yesterday.

It began with Ex, very unusually, turning up early to collect the kids. So early that I was still in bed; dreaming the kind of freaky, mad dreams that you only get when you've half woken to have a pee then gone back to wrap the still-warm duvet round you again in an attempt to make the world piss off and leave you alone for another hour (or you're wearing a 24 hour nicotine patch). This particular dream featured large piles of cash being counted in the presence of Robbie Williams, an african baby and a fart. For shame! I awoke feeling completely embarrassed at how much my subconcious mind takes in the media representation of the lives of slebs.

I spent quite some time setting up a fancy new rss reader within firefox then realised it doesn't do what I thought it would. Bum, isn't that just like a man?! Still, it looks kind of important ticking it's news headlines across my status bar, even if it doesn't sing shoot the runner and give me a one-click link the very instant my favourite online people update their gossip.

I then read loads of blogs, commented on a few and had a warm and fuzzy when I found that some of my favourite bloggers have linked to little me. Cliqueable links, you gotta love their life-affirming properties.

This coming week I have to quit smoking. I wish I could say it was a choice but it's more due to financial circumstances (i.e. I'm bigtime broke and it's just before Christmas when I must supply a blue iPod Nano, a pink PS2 and a non colour specific laptop amongst the traditional stocking fillers in order to ensure that my children continue to pretend that they love me). I plan to request NRT on prescription even if it does mean I have to attend group therapy with a fierce matron to get it.

Who knows? Maybe I'll meet the man of my dreams at a session that starts with me saying 'my name is Angela and I haven't smoked for ten minutes' to polite applause from the assembly of randoms worrying beads in the same boat. It's the perfect solution really, what better way to replace a regular hand-mouth habit than keeping them busy on a man? Failing that I can always try and sign up my fellow quitters to karate and earn some membership fees. Crikey, I've actually convinced myself as I type that this is a good idea. Gawd bless the NHS!

In other news, policelady has a meeting with the CPS today and there is a court date booked later this week to formalise whatever charges they decide are in the public interest. I wonder if he's bought a new suit out of his 5k blood money?



8 comments:

Persian Princess said...

Good luck with the smoking thing FB...TP recently gave up after 10 years of 20-a-day. It's been almost 3 months now and he's still not given in to temptation. He read Alan Carr's book and although I thought that stuff was kinda bullshit, he said it really does work - perhaps give that a try?

Anonymous said...

Oooh good luck!! I have been smoke free for 2 years now - you'll feel like a new woman and save a FORTUNE!!! I used the 24 hour patches - loving those dreams!

Good luck with everything else!
Hx

Vi said...

I give up smoking every Monday, FB. Normally a social smoker, but bloody AC smokes like a chimney, so that's out the window (but at least he buys them for me) I feel like I swallowed razor blades today!

pink jellybaby said...

i had a day doing nothing at work today. i felt so guilty when i left, that i hae to do twice as much tomorrow!

love in the smokeaholics anon? sounds like it might just work!

Ordinary Girl said...

Knowing the nhs at the moment you'll be lucky if your pct is still doing free nicotine replacement! good idea for picking up men tho :-)

Mummy said...

gluck with it all ... I have the patches sitting here mocking me every night i roll a smoke up. but my intentions are , um, lazy, ii mean, good. Wow! santa delivers big time at ur house!!

Angela-la-la said...

Thanks for the encouragement, guys! I'm down to my last 40 now so not long to go... eep! Luckily my HA is advertising the nhs help so best I grab it while it's around.

Yep, I do spoil my kids, joie. Comes from being the-kid-with-the-wrong-trainers when I was young and a hefty dose of guilt for not loving their dad enough to stay with him and play happy families I think. They're worth being skint for tho, they're brilliant kids considering their mum! :-)

Annie said...

Well done with the giving up smoking. I quit a year ago and feel amazing for it.

And it's easier than it's made out to be too. Don't believe the hype.

Good luck xxx