Friday, February 2

Karma killer

You've been naughty. Very, very naughty.

I believe in karma insomuch as I try to 'do unto others as I would be done by' whilst not believing the source of that particular quote. I'm a basically nice person that doesn't do organised religion, I guess. I do have a sense of universal justice though, a deep seated feeling that everything balances out in the end; that things are, ultimately, fair. At least I do until I'm faced with scenarios such as this...

Innocent child born nearly three months prematurely and suffering traumatic physical effects including hip dislocation, brain bleeding and fitting which the med staff can't rule out being a life long condition. Parents, having 9 previous children between them and already estranged, unable to accept the responsibility and abandon said child in hospital at 6 weeks old, weighing 2lbs. Child farmed out to foster parents who then adopt her but find it hard to handle her learning disabilities/mental health issues as she grows into a young woman whose biological father insists on making himself and her, by now, 11 various flavours of sibling known to her.

Young woman becomes pregnant and has termination. Goes on to become pregnant again and has son who is then removed from her due to her inability to care for him. Goes on to marry and has a daughter who she's allowed to keep with extensive help from husband/in-laws. Husband leaves but returns for access to daughter and sex with young woman. Young woman becomes pregnant again. At 27 weeks, young woman is told her baby has died inside her and she'll have to go through labour and delivery. Appointment is made as soon as hospital can arrange it. The same day as her first sons birthday.

Some things just don't make sense.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've come to the conclusion that events in life are pretty much random. Really crappy things happen, with neither rhyme nor reason. Only thing you can do is be really, really grateful and make the most of it when they aren't happening to you, and try to alleviate the suffering of others to the best of your ability -- not because of some ridiculous religious imperative, or a sense of guilt, but through empathy and having an open heart (which is exactly your style, FB).

Midnight said...

I don't personally think that life is necesarily fair. I think the most important point you make is just to be nice to people.

That is at least something over which you have control. Examples like this do make me wonder if there is any such thing as justice. Some people have all of the luck and they usually seem to be the least deserving types, others (usually nice) seem to get nothing but bad luck.

Lady in red said...

I am not religious but have always tried to live my life being nice to people and as you say do as you would have done to you.

Vi said...

oh dear.

Anonymous said...

that is fucked up, i was in a good mood to I read it, just makes you think how lucky some of us are! x

Anonymous said...

I think LFM said it better than I ever could.

Freddy said...

i doubt that I can express this any better than anyone else, but my philosophy such as it is, involves doing what you can to help others and doing your best not to cause harm. Within that context I factor in the belief that 'shit happens' and sometimes it happens to people I know, and sometimes to people I don't. It happens to people that I think may deserve it, and to some I certainly don't think are due the grief.
The issue of 'unattributable grief' is tricky for all; it is tempting to blame some deity or other; to put it down to karma; to stick in some personal guilt that 'if I were a better person this wouldn't have happened' feeling.
personally I'll stick with doing what I can to help others and keeping in my mind the knowledge that 'shit happens'

HKMGB said...

It's just a fact of nature that some people get fucked on and some people don't. There's not too much point in trying to understand it, it will always be this way (unless you believe in a God, which you shouldn't).

I don't believe in a God, but if it turns out he does exist, I'm gonna be fucked, good and proper. Come to think of it, most of us are. If somehow we end up being judged by a supreme being and he turns around and says, "So then mate, what did you do to help the millions and millions of people starving in Africa and throughout the world? What did you do to REALLY help?" My only answer will be that I tried to be good to others and gave some money to charity here and there.

I don't reckon it's gonna cut the ice.

See ya in hell.

Anonymous said...

Hate to say it but that's life!

And I'm not a believer in Karma/fate/destiny or other such things. Life is life. Sometimes it's shit, sometimes it's great, but one thing it never is, is fair!

(God I sound a cynical bitch - don't even mean it in a negative way!!)