Monday, April 9

And now, the end is near...

and I don't know where to start.

I'm trying to do an impact statement. No, that's not it. I'm trying to get together a mere list of notes to take to the appointment to do the victim impact statement.

An appointment which will also involve me hearing of episodes of abuse that I had forgotten, tucked away in the dark recesses of my mind, locked in a sturdy old box with phone directories and bricks and anvils stacked on top so they can't fall out unexpectedly. Denied, avoided, dismissed. Much like myself, really.

Until now. Because these are episodes, incidents, occurrences that he remembers, that he told of during his questioning and that form part of his statement. Not my statement, because I buried them somewhere inaccessible and couldn't find them to tell when, 30 years later, I eventually got brave enough to tell anything.

Because of the guilty plea I don't have to hear them, but I'm choosing to anyway. This may sound weird, sick even, but those moments, well they're mine and I lived them and deserve to remember them. I've lost so many years to blackout and I want my years back.

I figure there must have been good times in there somewhere so maybe if I get the bad memories acknowledged, let them out of the box, I may find some good ones that got shoved in with them by accident. Or is that my inner silver lining girl talking? Could be. God, that bitch never shuts up, she's always there with the 'at least' this and 'lesson learned' that.

Fuck off, Pollyanna; just, please. Fuck. A. Long. Way. Off.

I have a list to make.

I don't know where to start.

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

clear your mind. you are so much braver than anyone i know. i don't really know what more to say. just that after this ordeal i hope yor life brings years of happiness and release. xxx Rachel xxx

Peach said...

hey FB, you're not denied, avoided or dismissed by me... XX

Ordinary Girl said...

Or me!

Hey, can I get Pollyanna on your arse!! "Just start at the very beginning, it's a very good place to start". Name that tune in 13?!?!

Seriously, bravery is definitely the word that comes to mind. You've got this far, which has been an ordeal in itself. Stick with it FB and you'll come out the other side even more fabulous!

Vi said...

It's nearly over hon. Then you can finally move on properly.


Big SMACKAROONY kiss!!!!

Lady in red said...

(((FB))) you can do it and no matter how bad it is Im sure you will come out the other end stronger.

Bittersweet said...

good vibes from me to u x

Angela-la-la said...

Thanks for the support, ladies (notice the blokes have gone all quiet cos I've gone serious? :oP ). I'm seeing the police woman at 10.30 on weds then seeing my mother on thursday.

Which is why I'm drinking and having a crafty silk cut light on a tuesday...

*sigh*

If I'm gonna smoke I could at least have bought real bloody fags!

Anonymous said...

Fuck.

And don't smoke.

Not that I can talk. I'm smoking now.
Hope it goes ok.

Angela-la-la said...

Fwengeybaby - I worry about you going to NYC but ignore that and take this instead -have fun, baby!

Andre - just, you know. Ta.?

Miss Tickle said...

xxxxx

(Thinking of you at 10.41 on Wed)

Mungo said...

Best of british babe.
M

Annie said...

I can't even begin to imagine how difficult this all must be for you.

Good luck and well done with everything you're doing.

xxxx

Anonymous said...

Not weird or sick at all. You have the absolute right to do whatever it takes to hellp you through this. And as for curiosity about your own life... who has a right to that if not you? And that includes the bad bits.

Big {{HUGS}} from here, as well as a massive dollop of respect.

Angela-la-la said...

Thanks you all, your support really is buoying me up through this shitty process.

Blushing thanks to Lyle who has nominated this at POTW. I'm incredibly flattered nad will admit to a little squeal of joy when I saw it.