Tuesday, April 24

Dreams and dishcloths

I'm in a dentists waiting room, it's packed. He's running three hours late.

I go to the reception and ask to make an appointment for another, quieter day. Explain that there's standing room only in the ante room, three people on a sofa in the surgery and two going through the relaxation process before they join them there.

"No! He only agreed to see you at this time!"

I leave, ride my bike away from the Canning Town high street of my youth and into the pub. It's a birthday celebration, everyone is doing a turn on stage. I drink and watch songs, speeches, mimes, photo displays, dances made up by children. The birthday couple I'm sitting with tell me it's my turn but I don't know them so I go to the toilet to look for my bike. It's not there so I search the park that the pub is in. It's been stolen.

I go home to get another bike so I can go back to the dentist. The bikes are kept in the front room, a proper front room that should only be used for visitors so I tidy the chains and locks and bags full of puncture repair kits before cycling off to the receptionist that speaks like acid. I go via the shopping centre where I try without success to find something to spend a gift voucher on.

The reception is now in the park, near the pub that I don't want to return to because I don't know what to perform. It's dark, I get past the pub unnoticed, find my bike in the now circular room and sit on it waiting for the woman behind the counter to tell me the dentist will see me now, even though I'm not in pain anymore. She doesn't, she just glares at me.

Waking up from that dream I find myself in a shaky state. Gently I potter round the house doing mindless tasks until I catch myself fixating on why I bought pink designer dishcloths with pretty flowers on when essentially all they do is wipe up grease and dirt.

I think this is why I drink. My mind scares me when I'm sober.

5 comments:

Vi said...

SEE??????

This is why I drink as well. I'll probably get a weird dream tonight since I'm on 2nd AFD.

;P

Anonymous said...

Hmmmmm at least your teeth didn't fall out in your dream - but I do want to discuss your need to buy designer DISHCLOTHS!!! I ain't setting up home with you lady, I'm a tight arsed Scot remember!!! ;o)

CoiSir (still no account and sex life on the slide until you get that plane ticket!)

Angela-la-la said...

Vi - I know babe, there's me telling you about your dreams then mine bite my arse.

Coisir - On the slide? I don't believe it! Kids are away for a week from the 28/6... ;-)

Anonymous said...

God, I hope I didn't provoke that nocturnal dental emission.

Peach said...

Hellooo
Right, it's taken me a while to get my head around this one - but here's my analysis:-

1) Dentist = pain - you realise lots of people have pain and don't want to take someone else's place so want to come back "when it's less busy" - however, because your receptionist says "No, he only wants to see you" you somewhere inside feel that no, this is YOUR time now to get that "pain removed" - although you still feel guilty about this.

2 - Bike - could be symbol of freedom - You return to street of your youth - you're going back to the time when "things happened" and/or "happier times" BUT this freedom (symbolically as well, your "innocent childhood") is stolen from you.

3. Front room - Freedom chained up. Should be a place of "repair" - you feel obliged still to "tidy up"

4. Performance fear - in this I would say that it was hard for you to put on a brave face to people during the shit you were suffering as a child.

5 - You find your bike/freedom = not in pain anymore. But now you feel guilty again hence receptionist angry

6 - Pink = you = pretty - positive - happy and a colour too good and too vibrant to wipe up the shit you've had to.

Our minds are wicked and amazing - dreams have so many answers - although of course - this is me analysing from your archives and knowledge rather than just the dream...

Bye for now xxxxxx