Monday, April 23

The oldest child

I need a top to do garden work in, something that will allow me to catch the sun without the neighbours catching a flash. The one I choose is a canary islands souvenir, it suddenly hits me that I bought it on honeymoon. 17 years ago.

Tournament day. I don't compete, I cheerlead. Wildly, to make sure my students know how proud I am of them and my mates get the lift they need mid bout. One mate asked babygirl if I was this daft all the time and was graced with a sigh and rolling eyes. "She drives us all mad, we're more mature than her most of the time"

I go out for takeaway, notice a face I vaguely recognise. Chat and catch up, as you do. It's been 25 years since we saw each other.

I think my kids might be right. Maybe it is time I grew up.

12 comments:

Peach said...

nah, don't grow up, leave that for the kids...

Annie said...

I don't know. Every time I read your blonk I think what a fab mum you sound like. I think your kids are very lucky.

xx

Anonymous said...

Growing up is vastly overrated, especially if it means trying to be like the rest of the conventional world. Don't do it, honey. You're perfect as you are.

Midnight said...

It sounds like you were just showing your enthusiasm and having fun. Nothing wrong with that at all nor is there anything wrong with being silly at times. I don't see why that should change with age?

LC said...

>>I think my kids might be right. Maybe it is time I grew up.

Nonsense. Kids don't know anything, ignore them. Once they've tried being grown up for a while they'll probably agree that it's not all it's cracked up to be.

MommyHeadache said...

I agree with la fille, maturity and acting grown up is overrated. I mean, sure, there are limits about how wacky one can be and in what circumstances, but I'm 36 and am showing no signs of wanting to stop acting the fool...and also, some of us are just so bloody funny that it would be a shame not to keep amusing the troops!

Vi said...

Your kids don't want you to grow up! They love you as you are!!!!

Mr Farty said...

Never Grow Up! Never Surrender!

Anonymous said...

Hmmmm if you listen to Steve Wright on Radio 2 then you're done for!!! Hey, I hit forty and did you even send me a sympathy card? Hmmmm? :oP

CoiSir (can't be arsed setting up an account :oP)

Troika said...

Now you see, Angela, there's a difference between needing to grow up and needing to stop being a complete twat.

Unfortunately, growing up is not what is needed here.

Mungo said...

I agree with Mr Farty.

You're a long time dead - NEVER GROW UP!!

M

Angela-la-la said...

Thank you all, I shall continue to let my inner child wear my high heels as long as she wishes. Not today though, she'd fall off and break an arm.

Troika - fuck off xx

Coisir - Get an account! Lawd knows your sex life deserves a blog (and you could read it back when you're really old and smile through your dinner straw)

Maybe I didn't send you a card so you had reason to spank me when I get off the plane, huh? ;-)