Friday, May 11

Perceptions of a peadophile

There are lots of people inside me with something to say right now.* My writers voice is fighting to be heard over the silent but insistent sobbing of my inner child and the roaring, righteous anger of my big sister/parental persona. I need to turn my mental madness into verbal vomit so you'll just have to pick the sweetcorn out on your own.

I think when I realised I had an audience I forgot that a bit, wrote for the reader rather than for me. Which, don't get me wrong, was good; I love writing for an audience, I like feedback saying I've made people laugh or remember or feel better or think or cringe. It just wasn't always what I needed and I realise now that I've gone onto my standard class clown, people-pleasing mode at the expense of expressing my dark side, a cost that my various inner people aren't willing to cough up at this moment in time. Tight bastards.

Anyway, you've been warned.

Impact statement signed, I read the statement that step-dad gave to the police. The first thing that struck me was how I heard it in my head. The policewoman's lines, transcribed verbatim from the tapes as per, very clearly processed in her voice with all her particular intonations, emphases and pauses. His words though, heard silently. No voice auto-attached itself to the words as they hit the back of my eyeballs, no accent, no timbre, not even a monotone. Just black type, white page, aural nothingness.

I feel this is more than reticence of the retina. Have the years of estrangement made me forget his voice? Maybe reading his version took me back to that place, those incidents. All carried out in oppressive, urgent, I'm not sure why I just know none of us must speak, suffocating, silence. Perhaps that's why my mind never shuts up now. Silence is icky even when peace is what I so desperately need.

The next hit, the justifications. I actually laughed out loud reading it. Apologised to policewoman for such an inappropriate reaction. It's a good job he pleaded guilty, a jury of normal people would have ripped him to shreds, it's classic paedophiliac thinking process. You see, my sis and I, at the ages of 4 and 6, well, we came on to him. Fucking pair of Lolita's we were!

The male, 'bad', copper asked him if he seriously believed that two children of that age really could, independently and separately, make overtly sexual advances to a man in his thirties, cos he didn't think so. The arrogance of 'I'm afraid it doesn't matter what you think' needed no voice to convey the venom he spat out with the words.

There are episodes he's mixed up, said it was sis when my recall tells me it was me and vice versa. I feel strangely offended that I meant that little to him. Feeling offended at that makes me want to vomit. I hate that it opposes his manipulative 'it was only because I loved you so much' bullshit, drip fed to me for years afterwards in order to ensure my silence, my toeing the family line, my non-rocking of boats. I hate that feeling either offended or manipulated are my only choices. Acknowledge, own, move on. Two down, one to go. Next.

People that meet me socially wouldn't guess it but I have an invisibility problem. I went for an appointment with my therapist once and stood in the waiting room for 35 minutes beyond my scheduled time because I'd not seen her emerge from the room to tell me her previous client had left. When she eventually found me she said she'd looked for me three times, knowing I was never late. I'd been standing right there, she simply hadn't seen me. I'm invisible, easy to overlook or ignore according to your needs. She took it to supervision then we explored it, decided this was obviously something I learned in order to avoid more abuse. Stimuli -> response. Box -> ticked. Therapist -> exonerated.

Bollocks.

Reading his perception now I see my invisibility was a condition I got from from birth and he confirmed by being so obviously 'in love' with sis that I was nothing more than similar neck down and malleable neck up. A second class gift, he didn't even have to work to make me serve in silence for I was born good. My mother tells proudly of the good baby I was - the subtext being how, amongst her life of violence and abuse, I was the one thing that didn't control her. Later in life, like, at four or five, I figured that out for myself. I innately knew not to do or say anything that would induce the tears or sighs of depression from my victimised mother. By the time she married him I was 6 years old and compliance personified.

Sis and I have always argued that the other had it worse. Till now I truly believed that she had it worse because, as the mother figure, I should have protected her. I read his words and yes, it's sick that he thought of her as some kind of ex-lover tormenting him with her 'new' man when she was 16 and again with the man she went on to marry. I laugh when I see his total recall of the the money he paid for her son to have some educational tests done privately.

He remembers a sum of £268 but the fact that it was seven year old me he abused during a particular incident isn't worth mentally tagging. What he did is recalled perfectly, who he did it to doesn't deserve memory space.

Ok, sis; you're right. I can finally see that what he did to me was worse. Worse because he used the overly compliant child that I was, not only for his own ends but as second best and made no secret of it. Worse because he used my previous emotional manipulations against me and that led to so many years of self loathing that there have been countless long nights in the last three decades that I wished he'd just killed me rather than leave me feeling like this for the rest of my life.



*I started this post on the 11th April, a whole month ago. I come back to look at the draft every few days, feeling full of bravery and good intentions but then balk, flit off somewhere more comfortable. Somewhere I can be funny or caustic or advisory, someone else's comment box, somewhere I could wear my mask in safety. My eternal thanks go to Peach for the post that forced my inertia to remove its clown make-up, get on its bike and try to complete this phase in my recovery. I owe you a pint, Peachypants.

35 comments:

Peach said...

Angela my darling you are a brave brave woman and I know I don't know you so well but for this, the post itself and the writing of it, the emotional process of GETTING IT OUT, I applaud you, hats off Lady Loveliness... It's so hard to work through all those emotions, so hard to work out what you feel and what you want to say, you have done so well, so lucidly written, doesn't sound like vomit at all... and jeeze, what christawful things you speak of, I am so impressed you're so ABLE... It's taken me a bit to write this as I was moved to tears, particularly at the money bit. What a cunt.

Well done.. You are amazing...

(and so glad my post helped you... but you really did that all by yourself... )

XXX

Peach said...

ps - rather than first meeting at a bloggers meet where I will be overwhelmed and unable to get to know individuals properly, shall we meet up one night soon first just me and you? I want to take you to a posh cocktail private members club and drown you in decadence... (and no, the drinks are on me!)

Just let me know !

Anonymous said...

beautifully written! and extremely moving... you are so strong! xxx
Rachel xxx

fiona said...

Like the ladies above, I applaud your bravery in writing this and your obvious strength. Oh, and your writing skills which are also patent. And my heart goes out to the little you that had to experience this and the bigger you that still does.

Vi said...

Well done my lovely Angie! No, you wouldn't know from meeting you that all this turmoil went on. You are such a strong lady, and that's what we all love.

Oi! Peach! You take her, you take me! We're a package! (only cause I wanna go to that cocktail bar!)

Anonymous said...

There have been two posts of yours recently with which I felt very personal echoes and, to be honest, I haven't known how to comment - either on that one or this latest entry. All I can say, however, is a genuinely heartfelt thanks for writing them so movingly, so thought-provokingly and so honestly.

All power and strength to you.

Annie said...

Well done you for writing about it so frankly.

xxx

always kris said...

More power to you. I am glad you were able to post it.

Persian Princess said...

Having met you and feel like I've got to know you a little bit, reading this just makes me think you are more amazing than I did before.
And you write brilliantly Ange...you really do.
Hope you're ok my lovely xxx

Anonymous said...

A huge, big, encasing, body crushing hug, Angela. You deserve everything good that is going to come your way... because I know that it will. Karma.

Anonymous said...

Ugh, fucking hell. I try to avoid commenting on things like this because it's so, well, unpleasant. But at least you've come through this with complete dignity and charm. But I still can't believe this man's vindication that two babies 'came onto him'. It was only a brief snapshot into how these men rationalise their actions as almost helpless victims, and it is unconscionably abhorrent.
My nieces are approaching their 10s and I can't fathom anything sexual about them, let alone their wishing their bodies upon another. This guy has rightly earned his cell and deserves everything he damn well gets.

Anonymous said...

Good for you, writing this. I've been so impressed by you over the last few months I've been reading.
I used to be invisible too. I'm not any more though.

Midnight said...

I can't really say anything more than has already been said. I'd certainly not consider you invisible though, in fact quite opposite!

Well done for having the strength and literary skills to write this, as unpleasant as it may be, you have excelled yourself.

Now start drafting that recovery plan including cocktails with Peachy/Vi, which sounds a perfect place to start.

Angela-la-la said...

I can't thank you all enough so I'll just say this. Don't ever underestimate your part in this whole thing.

As a child life is just life, as an adult looking back you realise your life was different and working through that is tough. Having support is absolutely vital and you lot are the best support since my favourite underwired bra

xxx

Angela-la-la said...

Bugger, forgot to say - bring it on, Peachypants! I'll mail you xx

Peach said...

Vi - OK cool, but first I'm kidnapping the FB from you for a night as I've heard how much she talks and I fear I may never get a word in edgeways with two of you... ;-)

Angela-la-la said...

Peachy, precious petal that you are; I've mailed you. Ok, I was drunk and verbose but it's a mail all the same...

I get a strong feeling of fate around you and I and it's nothing to do with civil partnerships ;-)

bobbins said...

Whoa - another humbling blog that makes me feel like a totally shallow whinger. Respect.

PS I hope your tosser stepdad gets everything due to him, in spades.

Bittersweet said...

Angela, i had to read this several times, in little bits, so i can only guess at how strong you are to finish it. All my best wishes for a happier future. You deserve it, and more.

Joanna Cake said...

Bug hug brave person x

Miss Tickle said...

Dearest lady, I am so glad you summoned the strength to get this out. You are amazing. xxx

Peach said...

hello again, have mailed you back sunshine...

(and previously wrote a comment but seems to have gone awol)

xxx

Anonymous said...

First time I've read your blog. You are very brave and doing the right thing. If you ever come to sydney drop a line and Ill take you on a bridgeclimb... :)

Vi said...

Alright Peach, I'll let you have her alone this time. My ears are still ringing from our last meet anyway!

Peach said...

Hey Ange - did you get my reply mail?

Vi/FB - ha, maybe I can handle you both ! You'll both love this bar - so if you both wanna come, let's go... I'm sure I can talk the arse legs of a donkey too.... I'll await to hear back from FB and then we can do dates on email? PS my IM is peacharse@yahoo.com if you're on later (or generally)

XXX

Anonymous said...

Made my way over here from POTW.

Congrats on taking the "in" away from the front end "visible"...it's got to be cathartic to stand so strong, so plainly visible, amongst the words that you so bravely strung together. This, your post, is why I love blogging. Thanks for sharing!

Ordinary Girl said...

I really can't express the awe I feel at how you have been through this, and continue to go through it with such a positive and "normal" outlook on life. I don't know how I would manage to have crawled out of that hole, but somehow you have done so, and with style and dignity.
All good wishes your way FB!

Anonymous said...

dont know what to say really,
well done for pushing all the way with it. these things tear me apart.
well done for being so strong.

Anonymous said...

"I need to turn my mental madness into verbal vomit so you'll just have to pick the sweetcorn out on your own."

That's a wonderfully vivid analogy, and I'm so glad you let the other Inner Yous out to express themselves.

This must all be so hard for you. Thank you for sharing. I hope it helps. I'm guessing it does.

Peach said...

FB have reply mailed again X

Unknown said...

I simply can't begin to imagine how hard it must have been for you all these years. your bravery is to be commended.

all the best to you.

Anonymous said...

Oh phooey, I wrote another long comment after the one above! Where did it go?

It was all about fear, and apologies, and how you shouldn't have to apologise for being raw and human, and we don't mind. In fact, we relish it. It's good for you, and it's good for us. But I know that feeling, of worrying about how your words might upset or discomfit or bore, and how you feel you should therefore apologise for being raw and unedited... but of course you shouldn't.

Gah, I expressed it much better last time! Bloody Blogger.

Timbo said...

I don't know what to write really. Words don't do it justice.

This is a brilliant, important post, and I don't know how to say what I want to say to you; don't know what would be of any use or meaning, so I won't say a thing.

x

Ms Melancholy said...

This is a stunning post. You have conveyed such comlex emotion with startling simplicity. Beautiful.

trousers said...

I finally wandered over here. What an arresting (no pun intended, its the closest word that conveys my reaction ) piece of writing. Strong stuff.