Friday, July 20

School's out

But not for summer, what with the constant teeming rain and grey, depressing skies. Ick.

Babygirl has attended her last junior disco, received her final report, collected autographs and messages from teachers, midday assistants, learning support staff, office ladies and cleaners. Basically, every adult that formed the team she's had around her for the past few years making her days of education safe and fun.

Later I will make my last visit to the school (albeit against her will - she wants to walk home with her peers for the last time) and hand over small gifts. Gifts that will be added to the huge pile of flowers and chocolates that every good teacher receives on the last day of the school year.
I wanted to give something that would truly say how appreciative I am of their part in my daughter's life but really, there's nothing. No bouquet, bottle of booze or box of bath bombs can express just how deeply grateful I am to them for helping me get her to this point.

She's 11 now. Bright, happy, confident, self-assured, likeable and friendly but no-one's doormat.

Most of all though, innocent and untouched.

I can breathe.

10 comments:

MommyHeadache said...

I so look forward to when my kids are that age. I hear there's a dream window between about eight and twelve where kids are wonderful, self-sufficient enough to not have to think about them all the time, but not yet scary teenagers. Enjoy her!

Vi said...

My oldest forget the present for his teacher, he's not gonna be happy! He adore's her. I should have been a good mum and dropped it off.

Nah!

Joanna Cake said...

Absolutely what emmak said. Having had to restrain my 16 yo daughter with a wristlock and throat grab this week, I can only adjure you to enjoy the next 18 months! Hopefully, she's almost out of the really snotty stage but she sure does still have her moments x

Midnight said...

It's amazing how quickly they grow up. Must be great to watch your kids grow up but a little saddening too perhaps?

Lady in red said...

my baby had his last day at juniors on friday that is the last time I go there after 14 yrs...it will be strange.....he was quite upset as he won't be going to the same senior school as most of his friends

Ordinary Girl said...

Long may she remain that way!

Helena said...

I treasure the very same memories but with my boys.

It's difficult for teachers too, saying their farewells. But just think how proud they are of their 'babygirl' (and boy) juniors-cum-high-schoolers!

I wish your daughter well at her new school!

Annie said...

Nice post. Although of she's really all those things mostly because of you rather than anyone else... but of course they've all helped too.

Peach said...

aw you're so lovely XX

Mungo said...

Bless you - it must be very hard, yet very rewarding for you.

Much love and hugs
Mungo