Thursday, May 1

Demented

In the beginning, there was light.

Excuse me as I paraphrase the bible (more than likely, really badly. I saw the film years ago but never read the book properly).

The beginning I'm talking about is the one which, for most people, involves a journey down a dark, squishy tunnel culminating in very bright, overhead lights and a smack on the arse if they don't cry quick enough on arrival.

If life is like a good story and has a beginning, middle and end you would think that light would be fairly constant throughout. It's a good thing, light. It makes plants grow for us to eat or look at. It makes electricity bills lower. It induces the production of vitamin D, which is a vitamin and therefore good for us. It makes life, well... lighter. Depression is to light as a dementor is to souls.

Both of them suck a bodies happiness in equal measure.

Only one of them is real though. Real enough to make a massive difference to so many everyday lives.

Only one of them has the ability to greedily swallow every ounce of positivity that is fed to it from the outside then vomit it back as apathy.

Only one of them can be dealt with, albeit through ever increasing doses of medication with side orders of stigma and pathetic reliance.

Only one of them has the power to convince it's prey that the medication that quells it is a bad idea, then gloat when the trick works and the prey realises that it's even darker down that path and they're now totally lost.

I wonder if I may be allowed a day this month to get my prescription in on time and not miss any tablets?





This is a BOGOFBLOG. Not only is this the first of my Blog every day in May posts but also my (small) contribution to this year's Blogging Against Disablism Day. Go visit Goldfish to find out more and get the list of other bloggers that have done much better posts than this to fight disablism in all it's forms.

5 comments:

Mr Farty said...

I'd never heard of BADD. Thanks for bringing it to my attention.
Um. Hugs?

Miss Tickle said...

It's a fight we fight my darling, and on the better days, we can see it makes us all the stronger for doing so. xxx

Vi said...

I think you did pretty darn well explaining it!

Joanna Cake said...

I can empathise with this one but I pop Vitamin B because it isnt on prescription. I just have to remember to take them.

Ariel said...

This post has made me wonder about things that are affecting me too, so thanks for the public service announcement as it were.